Wednesday, November 08, 2006

A second childhood?

This is again one I liked. Written on the 4th of August 2002.

I think I have grown old.
I look at the little fellows and it seems to make me smile.
I see kids playing games and start thinking for a while.
"Well, once upon a time I too was like that"
As I think of this I smile. But at heart I am sad.

Sad? Yes I feel sad because..
Well! Once upon a time I too was like that.
Now with my older bones, I can't do all that.
I'm sort of sad, you know, feeling a bit bad.
Ah! the joys of childhood and the fun I've had.

As I look around,
They all look so small to me, their faces very bright.
I try to remember how I was, when I was their height.
Did I play like them and have all the fun?
Or did I miss my childhood by being a lazy one.

Ah, Look at that smile...
They all look so happy to me no worldly concern.
Play and fun is all they know, no hate no heartburn.
I've changed a lot, I feel, since I've been that old.
I too had, seems very long back, that wonderful heart of gold.

I begin to wonder,
Could I go back to the past and be a child agian?
Be a child forever and forever avoid this pain?
Be a child again! How wonderful it would be!
Once more a little child, would I recognise me?

Once more a little child,
Would it not be great? Or would it all be the same?
Would I be different? Or live it all again?
Would my life be different from the one I've had so far?
It would be in my hands to make my life or mar.

1 comment:

Kaapi Prash said...

I guess the child in us is ever there ... crying out to us. Its just that the jingles of the world we have grown into are louder. Hmmmm... I think I should listen close and pay heed. ...Ooooppss ... tend to give away too much gyan!!!

Welcome to Thoughts/Ashwin